- Block #1 is a simple plus block.
- We are following this tutorial by Steph Jacobson for a 10" finished block.
- The background fabrics should be low-volume prints. The "plus" fabrics can be any print fabric that reads as a solid. You can use any color you want for the plus sign.
- The blocks are due at our March meeting.
- Block #2 is all about flying geese. Each block will consist of two flying geese units sewn together (so the picture above shows two finished blocks).
- You can assemble your geese following whatever method you choose. You can find a tutorial for the 4-at-a-time no-waste method here and a paper-piecing template here.
- Each flying geese unit should measure 4.5" x 8.5" unfinished, so the block (consisting of two units sewn together) should measure 8.5" square unfinished.
- Please use ONLY quilt-shop quality SOLID fabrics for your blocks this month. Please, no prints. The "geese" part of the block should be a blue, green, or white solid (any shade), and the background should be a gray solid (any shade).
- The blocks are due at our May meeting, with no early collection due to the Shannon Brinkley workshops in April.
- Block #3 is a more complicated star block.
- We have adapted this tutorial by Erica Jackman of Kitchen Table Quilting for an 18" finished block. You can find the instructions here.
- These instructions are for a simplified version of Erica’s block. Each block of this version that you turn in at the August meeting will earn you one ticket in the block lotto. You can also choose to make the slightly more difficult version by following the directions in Erica’s tutorial. If you turn in the more advanced block, you’ll receive two tickets.
- The fabric palette is dark blue, pink, gray, white and/or low-volume prints.
- The blocks are due at our August meeting.
- Use hashtags #stlmqg and #stlmqgblocklotto to post pictures of your blocks on social media. We want to see what you're doing!
The last block will be assigned in August (due at SewMeSTL in October) and will have a holiday theme. Have fun!