We want to thank everyone for a great meeting yesterday. Here's a recap in case you missed any of it.
- We now have 70 due-paying members, as a few "new to us" visitors joined yesterday...WELCOME!
- If you missed the Sew In Saturday that was a few weekends ago, you have another opportunity to get together with you fellow quilters this coming Saturday, April 20th in a much smaller and low-key event held at the Webster Groves Library. Space is limited, so if you would like more info or want to sign up, please visit our Flickr page.
- The Photography 101 presentation is on hold until further notice.
- The Batting 101 discussion was a jolly good time and we hope that you learned alot about the options that are available to quilters. Thanks to Quilter's Dream Batting and The Warm Company for providing samples for today's events, and a big Thanks to our members who kept the discussion lively, informative and even brought samples of their own.
- The Member's Swap/Challenge committee announced it's first swap which is called "Room by Room". All items are due at the May Meeting and we encourage you to create an inspiration mosaic using BigHugeLabs, add some items to your Flickr Favs, etc.
- We made our first big speaker announcement at the meeting and will do an Official Blog Post here later in the week in case you missed it...stay tuned.
Here are some links to things that were discussed during the meeting:
- Are you up for the challenge? Consider participating in the Modern Quilt Challenge sponsored by AQS (American Quilter's Society). There are $6000 worth of cash and prizes up for grabs. Check out this link for more information and the deadline is August 2nd.
- It's not too late to enter the HMQS Modern Quilt Contest either. The deadline has been "secretly" extended to April 20th, as they are trying to seek out lots of wonderful modern quilts. To learn more, check out this link on the Modern Quilt Guild homepage.
Finally, our last bit of housekeeping for this month's recap is a final reminder that each member who wants to participate in the monthly Door Prize raffle needs to have a uniquely handmade nametag. We have been lenient for way too long allowing work namebadges, other quilt guild badges or even random scraps of paper pinned to one's shoulder now and again. This will no longer be the case. You will hear the words "Sorry, try again next month" if you wear any of the above.
While you might be questioning why something so trivial matters, it actually matters quite alot. It shows pride in our guild, and friendship with your fellow member. It's about being part of the community and being excited each and every month when you walk through those doors.
We want you to be an active member, the kind that would be missed...
not just another name on the list.
There are no restrictions on the size or shape of your namebadge, and we definately encourage creativity. Your name can be embroidered, cross-stitched, stamped, paper-pieced, or cleverly made using all sorts of things. Just keep it fresh, funky and uniquely you.