You know why quilters hate to spring forward? We hate to lose an hour of quilting time! Spring is in the air and March is national quilting month - and this month in our monthly meeting we were talking scraps! Our programming committee put on a great presentation full of ideas on how to help you prevent, manage, storage and organization, projects and donation ideas.
- Gail Luther, our treasurer, started off with an update of the guild financials. We are paid up with the Modern Quilt Guild and for those interested there will be copies of the financial documents on the member drive.
- Christine Boyd, our secretary, gave us a brief overview of our membership numbers. We are currently sitting at 146 members with 2 new members joined since our last meeting. We are so excited to see our guild growing even in these covid times. Not a member yet? Anyone interested should check out how to join.
- Our Vice President Em Komiskey covered some of the online happenings coming up, below is a list.
#sewthescrapoutofmarch Tea and Brie IG
Summer Sampler Sew Along Swim Bike Quilt
- 4x5 Quarterly Bees - Quarterly Block Bees - your patterns should be picked! Make sure to email if you have questions and when you have your blocks please post them online and tag #stlmqg4x5bee
- Monthly Skill Builder - Ever wonder how to do foundation paper piecing?? Well here is your chance to learn - Leila Gardunia will be teaching Foundation Paper Piecing on March 24th from 7-8pm. Prep materials and patterns will be linked in your member emails.
- The Color of Connections Quilt Ladies will be speaking at our July Meeting as a reminder. These ladies are working to create a nonprofit that connects the modern quilting community, across all colors, ages, genders, and backgrounds. Through this non-profit they will be hosting quilting workshops with vulnerable youth of all colors to sew, foster relationships abd meaningful connection, and also teach self-efficacy and creativity. Learn more on their mission on their site.
- Tara Faughnan will be speaking April!
She will be presenting on From Cardboard to Instagram. As a known master of the modern solid quilts she uses simple geometry, complex color interaction and find the line the exists somewhere between harmony and discordance in her quilts. We are so lucky to hear from her in our April meeting.
- Tara's Workshop Signups Coming March 18th at 8pm so make sure to check your email! Spots are limited - you will sign up for your top choices and we will email out what you get into along with an invoice.
Lone Star - Sat. May 1st
Big Stich Hand Stitch - Sun. May 2nd
$50/class, cancelation policy applies read more about the workshops here.
- Committee Announcements
- Get to Know You Challenge and Swap was announced - you will fill out the google form sent to your member email and get to know one of your fellow guild members and then make a mini 12-24" quilt for them inspired by their answers. The deadline to signup is March 20th and your quilts will be due June 27th.
- Jessica Schunke, chair of the charity committee, gave us a quick update on the charity quilts for vets. The deadline is still April 30th but we may see an extension, we will be working on sending out a list of all the longarm quilters that have offered services for finishing these charity quilts.
- Getting Scrappy
- Don't Overbuy
- Make an After Quilt
- Make a Pillow Case for your quilt
- Set aside 15-20 mins a day to sort
- 6 Drawers Organization
• Red + Pink
• Orange + Yellow
• Blue + Green
• Purple + White
• Black + Grey
• Brown + Neutral
- Improv Block
- Fabric Postcards
- String Blocks
- Lip Balm Holder
- Luggage Tags
- Crumb Quilts
- Don't forget to save these and Zig-Zag stitch together into larger pieces for use in quilts
- Cut into smaller square for make-up pads
- Dusters / Mops
- Pillow Stuffing
Find local places to donate your scraps
The full powerpoint & resources have been shared on the member drive - links in your email.
- Hand Sew *Home* Happy Hour March 30th 6-9 - we would love to see you there!
- Fabric Raffle
Thanks to another very generous donation from our sponsor Cotton Cuts Robyn Passig was the winner of both Kaffe Fassett fat quarter bundles!