- Kelly, our Secretary, provided members with official "membership pins and cards"
- Rene, our Treasurer, gave everyone a breakdown of our finances and what guild funds are used for.
- If you haven't already filled out The MQG Annual Survey; which was emailed to all MQG members, please be sure to take the 15-20 min. to complete it. It is your opportunity to have a voice in what the national MQG organization does as it relates to activities, charity, education and governance.
- Have you heard...QuiltCon 2015 is a Go! It will return to Austin, TX next year on February 19th-22nd. Hotels rooms are filling up fast, so if you are looking to attend, we would suggest that you book a room now. You can learn all about this exciting event, by visiting the QuiltCon webpage.
- The Bits & Pieces "Fanfare of Quilts" Quilt Show is March 15th-16th at Queeny Park. There will be over 350 quilts; as well as vendors, demonstrations, raffle quilts, door prizes, etc.
- STLMQG's 1st Sew-In Saturday of 2014 is happening next Saturday, March 15th, details were sent via email already. It is open to the first 25 due-paying members, and the "entry fee" is one quilt-shop quality, modern Fat Quarter. Our new Sew-In location is
SouthSide Church of God
12145 Tesson Ferry
Sappington, MO 63128
(Located near the intersection of 270 & Tesson Ferry)
- Krista, Chair of our Education Committee, is looking for help to create education activities this year. If interested, you can reach her via her blog Sew What's Cooking? or use your member roster.
- Lynne, our VP, and several of our members talked about their experiences as part of the charitable Pillow-Bomb project that was carried out on Valentine's Day, February 14th. A BIG Thank You goes out to everyone who cut fabric to make kits, bought pillow-forms, made pillow-covers, made a monetary donation or helped deliver the pillows. There will be one more delivery made, details to follow.
- The next MQG Fabric Challenge has been announced, it features Michael Miller "Petal Pinwheels". Our guild has already been signed up to participate and Kristy will let everyone know when the fabric arrives. Each participating member will receive six Fat Eighths as shown below. Want to get started right away, we learned that O,Sewpersonal in O'Fallon Missouri has some of the collection in stock. The challenge rules can be found here.
- Thank you to Em, Tonie, Krista, and Laura for their presentation on Quilting Bees and for sharing their blocks, quilt tops and finished quilts. If you are already part of a Quilting Bee, we hope that you were inspired and learned something new; and if you are interested in being a part of one, there are lots of opportunities to do so. Em mentioned the 4x5modernbee, and Kelly mentioned do.Good.Stitches. If you are looking for block ideas, Rachel from StitchedInColor wrote a great blog post about "Designing Collaborate Quilts".
- Casey, Chair of the Member's Swap/Challenge Committee, announced the first swap for this year; which starts in April and ends in May. All those who want to participate should bring in a magazine tear, or inspirational photo that you admire (please note that you will not get it back). You will then fill out an index card providing your name, what you admire about the photo (color, print, etc), and the "cut" of fabric *up to 1 yard* that you would like to receive based upon that photo. Names/Inspirations will be swapped in April and you will purchase up to 1 yard of fabric for your secret partner using the photo as inspiration.
- We had our first WOW Show & Tell with 7 people finishing WIP from their WOW card...YAY! We also had a handful of people show a current WIP that they had a question about, to those members...hopefully you received some answers which will help you turn that WIP into a finish.
Until next time, be sure to stay connected with us on Facebook and with one another on Instagram, etc.