Saturday, January 8, 2011

Member Spotlight #2

Name: Cindy Lammon
Flickr Name: clammon
Blog: 
www.hyacinthquiltdesigns.blogspot.com
Area of Town: O'Fallon, MO
Misc: I've been married for 34 years and have 2 grown children, a son who's a lawyer in Chicago (single) and a daughter who's married to a Marine with 2 daughters, ages 1 and 3.

What brought you to the STLMQG?

---I love modern fabrics and actually purchased some Joel Dewberry, Erin McMorris, and Amy Butler years ago, but had no idea what to do with them. When I found Modern Quilting popping up on the internet, I loved how they were using these fabrics and loved the simple graphic designs. Guilds are great because the ideas and inspiration you get is wonderful! 

Do you participate in other guilds or bees?
---I am the founder of a small guild in O'Fallon called Bound Together Quilt Guild. I've been the leader of it since we started 4-5 years ago. We're small and simple, but have lots of fun.

When did you start quilting?
---I attempted my first quilt when I was in high school. My Mom had a quilting magazine and I cut out a Double Wedding Ring quilt using tissue paper templates. Never worked out (I wonder why??). I took my first class 30 years ago when my daughter was a year old and I was working only part time. I made 3 quilts from that original pattern before I ventured into some thing new!

Why do you quilt?
---Hard to answer - I'm not really sure. I think quilts are really beautiful works of art. I love fabric, love putting the fabrics together, enjoy the design process and the math involved. Quilting is also very relaxing for me and now that I'm an empty nester - I happy that I have such a fun hobby to fill my days.

What was your most recent fabric purchase?
---Amy Butler's Soul Blossoms and a box of 100 Kona Solid FQs. (A nice birthday gift).

What is on your "I want to make this" List?
---I'd like to make a quilt from Cherri House's book "City Quilts". My son lives in a very modern high rise in downtown Chicago - I think one of those would be perfect.

What is something you struggle with?
---Paper piecing - just can't get that. I also struggle with getting things finished. I'm great at starting a quilt, but once I see what it's going to look like, I have to push myself to finish. I'm ready at that point to use the newest fabric and start the next project!

What do you do when you aren't quilting?
---Honestly - I'm quilting a lot. I also love to garden, cook, decorate, and read. I hang out with my grand daughters every chance I get (and that involves frequent traveling).

Anything else you want to say?
---Random things:
1. Quilting things I'm proud of: 3 books published by Martingale & Co; quilts in several magazine publications; many beginning students that are now accomplished quilters.
2. I watch way too much HGTV. I could redecorate my house every month.
3. I'm challenged by photography and hope to become much better. 
4. I love word puzzles.
5. Almost all of my friends are quilters - they're the best!!!


ooo-----------------------------------------------------------------------ooo
Here are some photos that Cindy wanted to share with you





1 comment:

Me? A Mom? said...

Love that zig zag quilt!!