- There will be 10 months total.
- There are two parts to the challenge each month:
- First, instead of changing colors each month, this year, you will choose ONE spoke of the color wheel (for example, blue or yellow-green) to focus on for all 10 months (see **note** below). For each month, you can only use that color wheel color plus neutrals and one additional color (the additional color can change each month). So, for example, if your color wheel color is yellow-green, your January block could include yellow-green (any shade), neutral, and pink fabrics; then, in February, you could change to yellow-green (any shade), neutral, and yellow fabrics. You do not have to include an additional color (your blocks could just be your color wheel color plus neutrals). You may use solids, prints, or a combination.
- Second, each month will have a “must include” skill, which we'll announce at the monthly meeting. You can choose any block you want in any size, but it must incorporate the skill for that month in some way. Examples may include a triangle, some kind of handwork, paper piecing, curves, etc.
- To participate, you must post an image of your block to Instagram or email a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org before the next meeting to earn a point for that month. On Instagram, use hashtags #stlmqg and #stlmqgrainbowbom.
- You will earn one point for finishing a block that meets that month's guidelines and submitting the image before the next meeting. You will earn five additional points if you finish at least 9 of the 10 blocks by the November meeting. Each point will be worth one ticket, and we'll draw for prizes at the November meeting.
- Feel free to "make up" missed months after they are due, but you will not receive points for those individual months. (However, all blocks will count toward your nine-block total for the five additional points in November, regardless of when they are made.)
- You do not have to create a finished item with your blocks (although we are planning to have a separate prize raffle for finished projects at a later date).
- Blocks can be any size and design -- it's totally up to you -- as long as they incorporate the skill and follow the color guidelines.
- Finally, as one more incentive, starting in February, everyone who brings their finished block to the monthly meeting will be entered to win a copy of a quilting book related to the next month’s skill. You must show us your finished block at the meeting to receive a raffle ticket.
Note: To choose your spoke color, refer to any color wheel or check out this post on Shannon Brinkley's blog, which is all about color cards. The post also includes two color cards (one with a 12-color wheel and one with a 24-color wheel) that you can download for free. In addition to being helpful, they make cute artwork for your sewing room. We recommend choosing a spoke from the 12-color wheel, as it will give you a broader range to work with.
Skill #1 (January):
The skill for January is a 9-patch. Again, you may choose to incorporate this element into your block in any way you want. First, identify the color spoke you'll use for the year, then get started! The skill 1 block images are due before our meeting on February 9.
Skill #2 (February):The skill for February is a triangle. Again, you may choose to incorporate this element into your block in any way you want, and the skill does not have to encompass the entire block. The skill 2 block images are due before our meeting on March 9.